Version 2.12.4 May 5, 2019
- CHANGED Improved validation in Properties panel, during copy/paste operations.
- FIXED Fixed some French translation mistakes.
Version 2.12.2 December 5, 2018
- FIXED Fix bug in data updater after program upgrade.
- FIXED Fix bug in autoupdate code related to skipping a version.
Version 2.12.0 October 22, 2018
See important release notes
- FIXED Security enhancement. Upgraded project to DotNET 4.6. Eliminated TLS 1.0 from the update checker.
- NEW New remote desktop features. Double-click a machine to connect to RDP, or Putty, or http web interface.
Version 2.11.22 May 24, 2018
- NEW Add -agent option to command line.
- FIXED Legacy shutdown could fail if password contained special character.
Version 2.11.20 December 15, 2017
- FIXED Display would sometimes show IPv6 address instead of preferred IPv4 address.
- NEW Added “Trace Log” function.
- NEW Added “Message” function.
Version 2.11.18 July 15, 2017
- NEW Added -pw command line option.
- FIXED Fixed broken dependencies in reportviewer (print function).
- NEW Added Debug Logging form.
- FIXED Fix crash when starting for first time on clean build of Windows 10.
- FIXED Fix problem with flapping hosts.
- CHANGED Code signing now SHA256 only, SHA1 signatures are depreciated.
Version 2.11.16 April 1, 2017
- FIXED Setting were not saved if program closed unexpectedly.
- FIXED Saved passwords in task scheduler failed if they contained international character sets.
- CHANGED Security of stored passwords improved. Now using AES encryption engine.
Version 2.11.15 January 10, 2017
- NEW Italian translation.
- FIXED Command-line program would crash if not installed properly, or missing registry key.
Version 2.11.14 January 1, 2017
- NEW Added “repeat” option to WOL packets.
- FIXED Gracefully handle the rare case of corrupt user configuration files.
- CHANGED The Search for Computers form is now resizable.
Version 2.11.13 December 2, 2016
- NEW Added field to link an RDP file to a host, so you can save RDP configuration and password.
- FIXED Command line program now follows database location changes automatically.
- CHANGED Closing main form will minimize to task tray, if that option is selected.
Version 2.11.12 October 31, 2016
- CHANGED Network interface selection is now automatic.
- CHANGED Splash screen can now be disabled.
- NEW Code signing: the EXE’s and shared DLL’s are now digitally signed.
Version 2.11.11 July 22, 2016
- FIXED Substitution variables now work on command-line and scheduled tasks.
Version 2.11.10 May 23, 2016
- FIXED Fixed compatability problem with Windows XP and Server 2003.
- CHANGED German language refreshed.
Version 2.11.9 May 7, 2016
- NEW NAS Keep-alive function.
Version 2.11.8 April 27, 2016
- NEW Application is signed. This will fix issues where anti-virus and anti-malware display warnings during install.
- Fixed 64 bit installation now installs into correct folder.
Version 2.11.7 April 23, 2016
- NEW Arabic translation.
- Fixed Fix a problem with culture changes, default group not selected.
- Fixed Program could fail to start if launched from non-admin account.
Version 2.11.6 April 5, 2016
- Fixed Logic error in culture handler.
Version 2.11.5 March 30, 2016
- Fixed Program could fail to start if launched from non-admin account.
- Changed Recompiled for Visual Studio 2015.
- Changed Retargeted for DotNet 4.6.
Version 2.11.4 June 23, 2015
- Changed Fixed an error with the “progressBar” in the Search page.
- New Added “-p” command-line option to the GUI program, allows overriding the machines.xml file location.
- New Fixed missing dependecies in the “Print Report” page that could cause a crash.
- Fixed “Host Groups” are now sorted alphabetically.
Version 2.11.3 April 19, 2015
- Changed French language updated.
- New Added Spanish language.
- New Added task-tray options for RDP and Shutdown, in addition to Wake-Up.
- Fixed Fixed some problems with the Auto-Updater.
Version 2.11.2 April 3, 2015
- Changed Splash screen is multithreaded and the program startup experience is more fluid.
- Changed Russian language translation has been brought up-to-date.
- New New custom shutdown command substitution parameters: $PF and $PFX86.
- Changed Minor code refactoring and optimization.
Version 2.11.1 March 28, 2015
- New New installer based on Inno Setup.
- New Installer is now multilingual. Installation language carries over to the WOL program.
- New New scheduler option to send messages to machines.
- New New feature: managed thread pool. The polling of machines is now managed so that it doesn’t overload network.
Version 2.11.0 March 7, 2015
- New Added “legacy” shutdown option, to support Windows workgroup computers.
- New Added $HOST substitution variable.
- Changed Restructured and simplified the host properties page.
- New Added a message (popup) handler that supports Windows workgroups, if RDP is enabled.
- Fixed Fixed a problem with the database not being saved, immediately after a host delete.
- Fixed Fixed password being shown in cleartext on properties page.
Version 2.10.19 February 27, 2015
- New The “Listener” screen has been enhanced and displays more information about captured packets.
- Fixed The installer now remembers your custom database path. Upgrading the software is easier because you will not have to tell it where the db is.
- Fixed If you change the name of the database to a custom name, the software and the installer now remember your setting.
- New The command-line program now displays the broadcast subnet it is using for wake-ups, to help in debugging.
- New Added an option on the main form to clear the IP addresses of selected hosts. (Useful for DHCP hosts).
- Changed Dutch language translations updated.
- Fixed Fixed a bug where changing the display language could sometimes corrupt the main WOL window. During upgrades, the program would revert to English.
Version 2.10.18 February 14, 2015
- Fixed The scheduler window would sometimes disappear if it was minimized and closed.
- Fixed The event-log history windows is now multithreaded, so the rest of the program is not delayed while it loads.
Version 2.10.17 January 20, 2015
- Fixed Fixed an error that could occur after repeatedly clicking the “schedule” button.
- Fixed Fixed various issues with the task scheduler. Especially, the weekly trigger days would be incorrect if the host was in a culture that starts the week on a day other than Sunday.
- Fixed Search function now sets a sane default broadcast subnet when it detects a new host computer.
- Fixed The AutoUpdater module could throw an error for some users in non-English cultures.
- Fixed The shutdown “popup message” was not using the correct host name to send the message to.
Version 2.10.16 December 13, 2014
- New Event Log tracks all wake-ups, shutdowns, and exceptions. Events are stored in the Windows event log, and are also displayable and searchable within AquilaWOL.
- Fixed The “Reboot” option was missing from the GUI task scheduler. You can now schedule an event to reboot a host, or group of hosts.
- Fixed Fixed a minor issue where shutting down a local host could display a message that the host “will shutdown in -1 seconds”.
- Changed Some minor user interface updates.
Version 2.10.15 October 26, 2014
- Changed The shutdown/reboot/sleep/hibernate subsystem has been completely reengineered. The Windows API calls have been removed, and the new code uses WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) exclusively.
- New It is now possible to specify a unique “User ID”, “Password”, and “Domain” when shutting down a remote host.
- Changed The “Donate” button has been removed from the main form and moved to the help menu.
- New Added “logoff” to the list of shutdown options.
- Fixed “Search” function was not filling in all default settings correctly, such as TTL and RDP Port.
- Fixed The “Pinger” function was showing some hosts “offline” when they were really “online”, due to a bug in the ARP MAC address validation function.
- Changed Enhanced the “Reset Window Layout” option to fix more potential problems with layout. Added the option to the task tray menu.
- Changed Moved all wakeup/shutdown/reboot code to a portable library that can be reused in other projects.
- Changed Better error handling throughout the program. Fatal errors now show a dialog with helpful information.
Version 2.10.14 October 13, 2014
- New “Safe Mode”. If you hold the control key down while starting WOL, it will start in “safe mode”. Safe mode resets the configuration to default and can help in various situation, like if the display is trying to start “off screen”. Your computer database will not be affected.
- New There is a new “Notes” field in the machine properties. You can store any user comments or notes for each machine.
- Changed In some situations, DNS Servers may cache IP addresses for DHCP clients. This can cause the wrong IP address to be given to WOL and therefore WOL could indicate a machine is ONLINE when in fact it isn’t. The program now verifies the MAC address for each host when determining the online/offline status.
Version 2.10.13 September 20, 2014
- New You can now sort the columns in the “search” window. The main window sorting has also been replaced with the new and improved code.
- New The Listener window now has a field where you can specify which port to listen on. Previously it only listened to port 9.
Version 2.10.12 June 27, 2014
- New You can now schedule Wake and Shutdown of groups of machines.
- New New command line option: -g, enables you to specify groups for wakeup and shutdown. See command-line help for details.
- Fixed Fixed some error handling problems.
Version 2.10.11 June 20, 2014
- New You can now Wake and Shutdown groups of machines. Right-click on the desired group and select Wake Up or Shutdown.
- Fixed It was possible to type invalid text into the network interface pull-down, and crash the program.
Version 2.10.10 June 9, 2014
- Fixed Scheduled tasks and command-line operations involving hosts with spaces in their would fail.
- Fixed Some localization problems were fixed. Some Chinese translations where corrected.
- Fixed Scheduled tasks and command-line shutdowns were not using the correct field for the host name. They were mistakenly using the display name as the host name.
- Fixed Custom shutdown command worked in the GUI, but failed on scheduled tasks and command-line shutdowns.
Version 2.10.9 June 2, 2014
- New Added Chinese Language translation – Taiwan, simplified Chinese.
- New Donate: Added a button to accept donations for the project.
- Changed Many changes to the language / culture code. You can now change the language / culture and it takes effect immediately, without having to restart the program. The Language option has been moved to the Options page.
- Fixed The Splash-Screen has been rewritten. It no longer has color artifacts around the edges. It should start up faster and look cleaner.
- Fixed Fixed a problem with the toolbar and menubar not keeping their proper position and order on the page – during language changes.
- Changed A lot of behind the scenes code refactoring and reorganization.
Version 2.10.8 May 9, 2014
- Changed The Properties form has been reorganized to make it more efficient.
- New You can now specify the RDP port number used for Remote Desktop connections.
- New The installer now has the option to set the location of the program installation, and also the database folder location.
- New Added the Romanian language translation.
- New User settings are now preserved during program version upgrades.
- Fixed If the shutdown form had an error during an operation, that error would remain on the screen if you retry the operation. This is now fixed.
- New The application is now “single instance”. If you launch the program while it is already running, it will simply open the exising instance of the program, so you won’t have 2 copies of WOL running by accident.
Version 2.10.7 April 19, 2014
- New Computer name field now supports spaces and extended characters.
- New Search for computers function now detects WOL settings on remo name field now supports spaces and extended characters.
- Fixed You can specify a particular network interface to use for wakeup. Scheduled tasks were not obeying this interface choice. This has been fixed.
Version 2.10.6 April 10, 2014
- New Added Dutch language translation.
Version 2.10.5 April 4, 2014
- Fixed The Host-URI field is required for shutdown to work properly. It is now a “required field”.
- Changed Some users are having problems with the “Listener”, due to a conflict with Windows “Simple TCPIP Services”. It now displays a more useful error message and has online help to explain the problem and how to resolve it.
Version 2.10.4 March 7, 2014
- Fixed Fixed a problem that in rare circumstances caused a error “unable to find XML Serializer” when working with Scheduled tasks.
- New Some French and Hungarian language updates.
- Fixed Fixed broken links in the About-box.
- New Various minor code updates.
Version 2.10.3 February 16, 2014
- New WOL Network Interface is now configurable.
- New The “Listener” no longer locks the port, so you can run WOL and “Listener” at the same time on the same machine.
- Changed Host status check now uses URI field, was previously using the Name.
- Fixed French translation brought up-to-date.
- New About-box now shows all of the assembly version numbers.
Version 2.10.2 January 26, 2014
- Fixed The shutdown feature was broken in 2.10.1.
Version 2.10.1 January 25, 2014
- Fixed The AutoUpdate function was missing the foreign language DLL’s.
Version 2.10.0 January 25, 2014
- New Hungarian translation.
- New New version number scheme. Even numbers will be releases. Odd numbers will be beta test releases.
- New You can now add hosts into groups directly from the “Search” page.
- Fixed WOL now saves window column positions, status of folders, column positions of task scheduler, etc.
- Fixed AutoUpdater function has been Globalized. It is Hungarian aware. More translations coming soon.
- Fixed Splash Screen has been Globalized.
Version 2.8.1 January 13, 2014
- Fixed Trying to schedule an event with a local user account (non domain account) would result in a “Security Error”.
Version 2.8.0 December 24, 2013
- New Added Sleep and Hibernate options to Shutdown
- Fixed Minor bug fixes in Search function.
Version 2.7.6 December 13, 2013
- New Remote wakeup over internet. It is now possible to specify a URI for the WOL broadcast message, instead of just an IP subnet. This is to better support sending WOL messages over the Internet.
Task Scheduler Access-Rights module has been rewritten. The error:
Security Warning "user" does not appear to have access rights to the WOL Scheduler database.
should be resolved.
- Fixed Shutdown would crash if host had an invalid shutdown command.
- Fixed Some users report that the installer forced a download of DotNet – unnecessarily. Although we could not duplicate the problem, the dependencies module was competely replaced.
- Changed Search function now finds MAC addresses for more types of hosts, Linux servers, for example. Search function now uses DNS name for host name, if nothing else available. The error message “The RPC Server is unnavailable” is no longer displayed when scanning Linux hosts. The search function is now able to scan across subnet octects. For example, from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.100.255.
- Changed Moved code base from Visual Studio 2010 to Visual Studio 2013.
- Changed The installer has been rewritten. Now based on InstallShield instead of the defunct Microsoft Setup program.
Version 2.7.5 October 25, 2013
- Changed Added addition error handling to the Listener function.
- Changed Added error handling to Wake Up function to detect missing MAC address. Missing MAC addresses resulted in error: Conversion from string “&H” to type ‘Byte’ is not valid.
Version 2.7.4 September 30, 2013
- New Added “group” to details view.
- Fixed Fixed splash screen to not sit on top of other windows, blocking other applications.
- Fixed Added additional error checking and messages in task-scheduler referring to user-id and password.
Version 2.7.3 June 3, 2013
- New Added Finnish language translation.
Version 2.7.2 April 18, 2013
- New Added Auto-Update feature. Program will automatically check for updates every 7 days, or every time you open the “About” box.
- CHANGED Some minor interface improvements. Fixed incorrect tab-order in “Properties” window, etc.
Version 2.7.1 March 17, 2013
- Fixed Setup requires the DotNet 4.0 as a prerequisite, but it was linking to the wrong download.
- CHANGED Cleanup of online help.
- CHANGED WakeOnLAN GUI now defaults to minimize on task-bar, instead of task-tray.
Version 2.7.0 March 12, 2013
- New online help has been completely rewritten. Help is available from the program, and is mirrored on this website.
- New TTL and UDP Port are now configurable for each host.
Version 2.6.5 March 6, 2013
- New You may now specify the “subnet-directed broadcast” address, individually, for each host. There is a helper tool in the properties window to help you find the proper address to use.
- New There is a new command line option “-p”, which is used to override the name of the database. This is used if you have your database in a non-standard location, such as a file share.
- Fixed Waking up hosts that were on subnets that did not end in .255, would fail. For example, if you had a host with a subnet of 255.255.248.0, WOL did not send the packet to the correct subnet.
- Fixed If you used the task scheduler, or command-line to wake-up or shutdown, and your database was stored in a non-standard location, WOL could not find the database. This has been corrected.
Version 2.6.4 January 15, 2013
- New WOL packet listener. Click on Tools -> Listen to open the debugging tool. It will display all WOL packets seen. WOL can be tricky to get working with all of the different types of routers, Nics, and motherboards. It can be difficult to troubleshoot where a problem is. This tool allows you to see the WOL packets coming in to this machine.
- Fixed Fixed version numbers to match website.
Version 220.127.116.11 January 5, 2013
- CHANGED Complete re-write of the Russian translation.
Version 18.104.22.168 December 26, 2012
- New Added task-tray icon. Can minimize WakeOnLAN to the task-tray. Program will popup bubble notifications about machines going on or offline.
- New Added ability to auto-start with Windows. This can be combined with the task-tray feature, so the program will auto-start in the task-tray, if desired.
Version 22.214.171.124 December 24, 2012
- New Added French language translation.
Version 126.96.36.199 October 25, 2012
- Fixed Fixed “access denied” error when multiple users try and access shared database, and some users only had read-only access.
- Fixed Fixed error when starting program in a new environment, missing the machines.xml configuration file.
Version 2.0.2.00 June 4, 2010
- New Added German language translation.
- New Support for DHCP hosts. Leave the IP address blank, will use Netbios name instead.
Version 2.0.1.00 March 14, 2010
- CHANGED First release as “Open Source.”
- New Added the ability to share the configuration on a file-share. Multiple clients can access the same machine profile.
Version 188.8.131.52 March 9, 2010
- New Added “force” option to the task scheduler.
Version 184.108.40.206 July 23, 2009
- New Routing to other subnets supported.
- New “Send email” action type added to scheduler.
- New Scheduler shutdown events now support “delay” parameter.
- Fixed Many fixes to Brasilian translation.
- CHANGED Minor user interface improvements.
- New Added “-all” option to command line options.
- New Added scheduling system.
- Fixed Small bug fixes.
- CHANGED Updated flags, country names.
- New Added “ip address” control.
- New Added a “print” function to the main menu.